The Writing Center
The WRITING CENTER is currently online only. We offer free, 45-minute Zoom sessions to assist you with your writing at any stage, in any course, for any aspect of your writing assignment, including:
- Grammar, spelling, punctuation
- Structure and organization
- Thesis statements
- MLA/APA citation
- Scholarship letters . . . and much more!
And now, you can book your own appointment! We offer a variety of morning, afternoon and evening hours.
Here’s how to reserve your appointment:
1. Make sure you are logged into your Northern email account.
2. Open another tab in your browser.
3. Paste this link into the new tab: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/selfsched?sstoken=UUE0MldIVWhtUUJsfGRlZmF1bHR8YWRiMGViNTJjZGM4MWU1ODMyZDFkYjAyZGZhMzEzYjM
4. Click on the one-hour appointment block that works best for you. All appointments will start at 15 minutes past the hour.
5. In the pop-up, make sure your Northern student name appears in the “What” window. Click next to your name inside the window and add: course name, instructor’s name, MLA or APA. If you can’t insert this info, please email it to us!
6. Save the appointment. You will get an invitation, and you will see it in your Northern email account calendar.
7. If you have a draft, email it to the Writing Center on the day of your appointment, at least one hour before.
Please remember: Make sure you are logged into your college email account. If you book the appointment from a non-NNMC, external email account, your appointment may be deleted. Make sure you are logged into your college email account.Also, if you book two or more blocks back-to-back, all but one may be deleted.
HEP and Adult Education students are welcome; please identify your program.
If you have any questions, or have any difficulty using this appointment system, or cannot schedule for any of the available times, please email the Writing Center: email@example.com.
If you call (505-747-2294), please be sure to leave a voicemail (no texts), and tell us your email address in your voicemail. We cannot return calls during this time but will email you back.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- One-on-one tutoring sessions for a half hour at a time
- Telephone tutoring
- ESL and reading support
- Help polishing scholarship and thank you letters, resumes, and job applications
- Help formatting papers
- Citation help with MLA and APA formatting
- Computers where you can write and print up to 10 pages a day
- A small library of reading and reference books.
- Help doing research on the NNMC Library website
- Tours of the Writing Center for any class
- Help accessing Blackboard classes and submitting assignments
- Please bring assignment sheets and any other handouts or textbooks that will help the tutor assist you.
- Please bring any feedback from your instructor.
- Remember to ask your tutor to sign the draft for verification of your visit to the Writing Center.
- Please don’t wait until the last minute! We can help you better if you have a little time!
- Please contact the Writing Center or J.B. Moore to schedule an orientation with your students. You can bring your class to the Writing Center or a tutor can come to your class.
- We encourage you to send us copies of your writing assignments and exemplar essays that we can use to help your students.
- If you would like to require your students to attend a tutoring session (or make extra credit), we can verify your student’s visit by signature on a draft or email to you (please request). Please be sure to require students to make their appointments in advance.
- We have referral sheets available for your use. You may use the referral sheet to provide the Writing Center and your student with some guidance on the student’s needs and your expectations. The tutor will also use the referral sheet to summarize the tutoring session and provide you with some feedback on your student's progress.
- Let us know how we can best support your students and your goals as an instructor.