The Writing Center
For Fall 2020, the Writing Center is providing remote, synchronous telephone tutoring or Zoom tutoring during posted Writing Center hours.
Here’s how to request a tutoring session:
- Email the Writing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a telephone or Zoom tutoring session.
- Include your name, your phone number, MLA or APA, and three possible half-hour time slots.
- Your appointment will be confirmed through email within 1-2 business days, or sooner.
- One hour prior to your appointment, email your draft to the Writing Center or share it through Google Docs.
- Make sure you can access and edit your draft during your appointment.
- A tutor will call you at your appointment time, or send you a Zoom invitation for you to join. The tutor will work with you, providing feedback and suggestions, and help you improve your draft and your writing skills.
The Writing Center at Northern New Mexico College invites all current students to take advantage of our free tutoring services. We offer half-hour, one-on-one tutoring sessions. Call to make an appointment in advance or drop in to see if a tutor is available.
Telephone tutoring is also available. Call (505) 747-2294 to set up an appointment. Email your paper and assignment to the Writing Center (email@example.com) in advance. Then call at the scheduled time to talk to the tutor about your paper.
We offer help at all stages of the writing process, whether you need help brainstorming ideas for your paper, planning how to organize it, revising or polishing it or using correct MLA or APA citation.
Students are also welcome to come to the Writing Center to use our computers to write or print up to 10 pages a day.
- One-on-one tutoring sessions for a half hour at a time
- Telephone tutoring
- ESL and reading support
- Help polishing scholarship and thank you letters, resumes, and job applications
- Help formatting papers
- Citation help with MLA and APA formatting
- Computers where you can write and print up to 10 pages a day
- A small library of reading and reference books.
- Help doing research on the NNMC Library website
- Tours of the Writing Center for any class
- Help accessing Blackboard classes and submitting assignments
- Please bring assignment sheets and any other handouts or textbooks that will help the tutor assist you.
- Please bring any feedback from your instructor.
- Remember to ask your tutor to sign the draft for verification of your visit to the Writing Center.
- Please don’t wait until the last minute! We can help you better if you have a little time!
- Please contact the Writing Center or J.B. Moore to schedule an orientation with your students. You can bring your class to the Writing Center or a tutor can come to your class.
- We encourage you to send us copies of your writing assignments and exemplar essays that we can use to help your students.
- If you would like to require your students to attend a tutoring session (or make extra credit), we can verify your student’s visit by signature on a draft or email to you (please request). Please be sure to require students to make their appointments in advance.
- We have referral sheets available for your use. You may use the referral sheet to provide the Writing Center and your student with some guidance on the student’s needs and your expectations. The tutor will also use the referral sheet to summarize the tutoring session and provide you with some feedback on your student's progress.
- Let us know how we can best support your students and your goals as an instructor.