Voter Registration Information
Election day for municipal elections is Tues., November 6, 2018
Register by October 8, 2018 in order to vote.
How to Register to Vote in New Mexico
To sign up to vote in New Mexico, visit your local county clerk's office and fill out the voter registration form. You may also print out an online National Voter Registration Application and mail it to your local county clerk.
Important: If you're using the National Voter Registration Application, be sure to follow the instructions specific to New Mexico (for New Mexico state instructions, click on "New Mexico" in the bookmarks at the left of the online document).
If you submit your form by mail, you will also need to include copies of:
- Photo identification
- Proof of name and residency (e.g. utility bill, paycheck, bank statement, etc.)
New Mexico Voter Eligibility
There are a few basic requirements you must meet in order to be eligible to vote in the United States and to register in New Mexico:
- You must be 18 years old by Election Day.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be a resident of New Mexico.
- If you have been convicted of a felony, you must have had your civil rights restored.
- You must not have been judged mentally unfit.
- If you intend to vote in an upcoming election, you must register to vote at least 28 days before the event.
Deadline to Register to Vote in New Mexico
You must submit your New Mexico voter registration information at least 28 days before an election. Your registration will be accepted until the Friday following the official deadline, but it must be dated or postmarked at least 28 days before the election.
If you have any questions you can call the New Mexico Secretary of State Office toll-free at 1-800-477-3632 from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, or go to the Office of the New Mexico Secretary of State (SOS) website.
VOTE poster design, AIGA Denver