How to Apply for Financial Aid
NORTHERN SCHOOL CODE: 005286
A. FIRST STEP TO FILE YOUR FAFSA
1) Create an FSA ID at fsaid.ed.gov. The Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) is made up of a selected username and password. Students and parents should create their own in order to electronically sign their FAFSAs and other federal financial aid documents. What’s an FSA ID and Why Do I Need One?
For a video instructions please visit, "How to create an FSA ID"
2) Complete the FAFSA online at fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA is available after October 1st. If you have filed a FAFSA in the previous year, you may be able to file a renewal FAFSA online, which has pre-filled information.
Apply early! Because it can take several weeks to process a FAFSA, we encourage you to apply early and follow through with all requirements in order to receive an early Financial Aid Offer. Some types of aid are limited and awarded on a first-come first-serve basis.
3) If you need help completing the FAFSA, stop by the Financial Aid Office.
B. RECEIVE STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR)
After completing your FAFSA, the Department of Education will send you your Student Aid Report (SAR) which is confirmation that your FAFSA has been received and processed. If you provided an email address on the FAFSA you will receive the SAR via email.
Keep your SAR for your records. Northern’s Financial Aid Office will receive your SAR electronically, and will inform you by letter if any further documentation is needed.
After the FAFSA: What Happens Next?
You may be asked to complete additional forms to help verify information you provided on your FAFSA. You will receive these forms by mail. Please complete and submit the requested financial aid documents immediately to Northern’s Financial Aid Office.
You can also check your financial aid status at any time by logging onto myNNMC and clicking on the financial aid tab. Required documents can be viewed and downloaded for completion.
Requesting an IRS Tax Transcript. If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is not used to transfer tax information into the FAFSA you may be required to obtain a federal tax transcript from the IRS. There are three easy ways to do so:
- Online Request: Visit the IRS
- Telephone Request: Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
- Paper Request Form: IRS Form 4506T-EZ
D. Financial Aid Offer
A Financial Aid Offer will be sent to you. You do not need to return the letter unless you were awarded Work Study, or you no longer plan to attend Northern and want to decline your awards.
Award amounts listed on your award offer are based on full-time enrollment and will be prorated according to your final enrollment status (i.e., full-time, ¾ time, ½ time) at census date (3rd Friday from start of term).
Also, receiving outside resources at any time during the academic year must be reported to Northern’s Financial Aid Office in order to ensure accurate determination of accurate determination of aid eligibility, and to avoid potential over-awarding aid.
Withdrawing or failing all courses may affect your financial aid, please Click here for more detail.
QUESTIONS? Call or stop by our office in the Montoya Administration Building, Northern New Mexico College, 921 Paseo de Oñate, Española, NM 87532
Phone: (505) 747-2128 Fax: (505) 747-2121