DACA & Undocumented Students
Undocumented and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA)/Dreamer) students who apply to Northern are welcomed into our diverse Northern New Mexico College family.
We stand by our commitment to provide equal opportunities to all students who want to pursue a post-secondary education, regardless of citizenship status.
Who qualifies for DACA?
- Non-US citizens in the United States who do not hold an immigration or student visa
- Individuals not defined as a permanent resident, asylee, or refugee
- Brought to the US by parents or other relatives and were under age 16 at the time of arrival
- Must have filled DACA paperwork with the U.S. Government
- Request DACA here: https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca
- Don’t qualify for DACA? You will be considered an International student.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIC)
- Website: https://www.uscis.gov, Phone: 1-800-375-5283
- Find info about adjusting your status or applying for DACA.
- Use this website to gather correct information, to avoid scams, report scams and to make sure any immigration procedure is sanctioned by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Senate Bill 582: Relating to Higher Education, Prohibiting Denial of Admission or Eligibility for Education Benefits on Account of Immigrant Status
In the State of New Mexico, SB 582 establishes two things:
- Prohibits universities from discriminating against students based on their immigration status; and
- Provides in-state tuition and state funds such as the Legislative Lottery Scholarship if you:
- Attended a year of secondary education in New Mexico or graduated or obtained a GED in New Mexico
- For more information see: https://www.nmlegis.gov/sessions/05%20Regular/final/SB0582.pdf
- Scholarships A-Z: http://www.scholarshipsaz.org/scholarships/
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund: https://www.hsf.net/scholarship
- 50+ Scholarships For DACA/Undocumented Students: https://getschooled.com/article/1320-scholarships-for-undocumented-daca-mented-students-get-that-money/
- The Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund: https://davisputter.org/apply-for-scholarships/
- Deadline: April 1, 2021
- CORE’s Que Llueva Café Scholarship Program: http://www.ca-core.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/CORE_QLC_Y12_Application.6195645.pdf
- Deadline: March 31, 2021
- LANL Foundation Scholarships: https://www.lanlfoundation.org/our-work/scholarships
- MALDEF: The Latino Legal Voice for Civil Rights in America: https://www.maldef.org/resources/scholarship-resource-guide/
- Hacemos Scholarship Program: https://learnmore.scholarsapply.org/hacemos/
- Deadline: March 3, 2021
- The Dream . US: https://www.thedream.us/scholarships/national-scholarship/
- Deadline: February 5, 2021
- B.Davis Scholarship: Website: http://www.studentawardsearch.com/scholarships.htm
- Deadline: May 22, 2021
- Betancourt Macias Family Scholarship Foundation: Website: https://www.undocuscholars.com/scholarships
- Deadlines: May 2, 2021
Undocumented / DACA Community Resources
Phone: (505) 896-4869 Emergency: 1 (800) 526-7157
Somos un Pueblo Unido
Phone: (505) 424-7832
Community Resource Directory
Betancourt Macias Family Scholarship Foundation
Covid Immigrant Family Resources: The Center for Immigration and Child Welfare