Nearly all students who need accommodations are given a letter from Accessibility and Resource Center that is addressed to the faculty person and which outlines what accommodation(s) the student needs.
- Implement the accommodation plan as it fits to your class requirements. Problems implementing it? Call ARC for assistance
- Students have a right NOT to discuss details of their exceptionality with you; however communication between Instructors and Students is needed to insure that accommodations are benefiting the students need.
- Do Not discuss exceptionality issues with a particular student in front of other students, staff, faculty, etc.
- Do Not discuss individual student exceptionality issues with anyone outside of class in any way that identifies the student.
- Syllabus recommendation: Invite students with disabilities to talk with you privately about the accommodations they require either by making an announcement in class or by adding an invitation in the syllabus for the class. E.g. “Academic Accommodations: If you are a student who has been diagnosed with a disability that requires academic accommodations, please make an appointment to talk with me to arrange these accommodations as soon as possible (preferably sometime during the first two weeks of class).”
Accessibility Resource Center
Northern New Mexico College