Welcome to NNMC's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) page. NNMC is committed to the highest standards of animal research and follows the National Institute of Health and the United States Department of Agriculture's requirements.
Please see the below documents for NNMC's policies and recommendations regarding animal research. Report concerns about animal use or animal welfare to IACUC@NNMC.edu
NNMC IACUC Policy - NNMC's policy on Animal Research. To perform animal research, you must adhere to these guidelines.
NNMC Animal Use Request Fillable Form - to perform animal research, fill out this form and submit it to IACUC@nnmc.edu by Sept 1 or Feb 1. While the committee will make every effort to review proposals as we receive them, our external members may not be available. An IACUC chairperson will let you know the expected timeline to review your proposed animal research.
The following are reference materials for animals used in research
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- ACLAM Adequate Vet Care
- AVMA Guidelines for Euthanasia
- Guidelines to the Use of Wild Birds in Research
- Guidelines to the Use of Wild Mammals in Research
- Guidelines to the Use of Herps in Research
- Guidelines to the Use of Fishes in Research
- Guidelines for the Humane Transportation of Research Animals
- USDA/AWA Pain categories for animals used in research
- ARENA/OLAW IACUC Guidebook
- PHS Policy
NNMC IACUC Review Checklist - this document is used by the IACUC committee to evaluate animal use proposals.
NNMC IACUC Assurance - this document outlines the scope of the IACUC at NNMC.
Health and Safety Policy — BOR approved 3/26/21. Preventive measures and the elimination of any potential hazard are of the utmost importance for the safety and health of faculty, staff, students, and the public in general. NNMC Faculty, staff, and students are required to report any potential hazard observed to the proper department head or supervisor for corrective action.