Veterans Resource Center
At Northern's Veterans Resource Center you can register for classes and get certified to use your GI Bill®*, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. You can also find out about all the services offered at Northern for veterans.
Veterans Center Contact: (505) 747-5499
Northern's VA Certifying Official: Michael Rivera (505) 747-5499, firstname.lastname@example.org
You can access your GI Bill® account and apply for benefits online at www.gibill.va.gov.
- If you are the veteran, you will use DD form 22-1990.
- If you are a dependent or spouse of a service member or veteran, and you would like to apply for GI Bill® Education benefits to be used here at Northern you will need to complete DD form 22-5490.
- If you are changing schools or programs of study, you will need to complete a DD form 22-5495 or 22-1995.
- You may submit these applications electronically by visiting the above web site at www.gibill.va.gov.
- Or, come to the Student Veteran's Office and fill out applications in person with our helpful staff.
- Make sure you bring in copies of your applications and DD form 214
- Each semester you need to bring in your class schedule to a VA Certifying Official for certification of benefits.
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), this educational institution adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. This educational institution will not:
- Prevent the student’s enrollment;
- Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
- Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
- Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.
However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:
- Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
- Provide a written request to be certified;
- Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies