How to Accept, Decline, or Reduce Your Awards
What to do after your receive your award notice
- If you want to use all of the financial aid you have been awarded, there is nothing you need to do. The Financial Aid Office will assume that you have accepted all of your aid awards and your aid will be applied automatically to your college charges.
- However, if you want to accept or decline specific awards (such as work study) you must indicate so on the award notification, sign it and return it to the Financial Aid Office.
How to decline or reduce an award
- You may not decline or reduce awards until you have received an Official Award Offer. Once you have an official award offer, you may decline or reduce your awards by returning your award notification to the Financial Aid Office and alerting your assigned financial aid adviser of your intention.
- A Note about Loans: If you want to reduce or decline a loan after you have already received the funds, contact the Financial Aid Office immediately.
- Students must personally decline or reduce their awards; parents cannot do this on a student's behalf. Parents of students with a PLUS loan may send an email or letter to the Financial Aid Office requesting that the loan be reduced or canceled.
Rights and Responsibilities of Accepting
- Accepting financial aid entails certain rights and responsibilities.
- It is assumed that you will read and understand the terms and conditions of your aid and your rights and responsibilities, as specified in Terms & Conditions.
- We strongly encourage you to learn as much as you can about the aid you are accepting and to know in advance what is expected of you regarding your enrollment and academic progress.
- If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Financial Aid Office at (505) 747-2128