Office of the President
President Hector Balderas, JD, CFE
President Balderas brings many years of experience in public service to his new role at Northern, working to build coalitions and unify opposing constituencies. Personally, and professionally, he is a champion of the underserved, those whose voices are not normally heard.
President Balderas was raised by a single mother in the village of Wagon Mound, New Mexico. Growing up in public housing and on food stamps, he learned the importance of compassion and respect, and gained the conviction that everyone—no matter their background—deserves the same opportunities to succeed.
He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from New Mexico Highlands University and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of New Mexico Law School. After law school President Balderas became a Bernalillo County Assistant District Attorney, was elected to a seat in the N.M. House of Representatives at age 29, where he worked with bipartisan coalitions to pass several pieces of important legislation. He then served two terms as New Mexico’s State Auditor, where he had oversight of $60 billion in assets collectively held by over 1,000 government entities.
During his two terms as New Mexico’s Attorney General, President Balderas transformed the Special Prosecutions Division, Special Investigations Division, New Mexico Human Trafficking Task Force and expanded the New Mexico Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force. His Criminal Appeals Division obtained several landmark Supreme Court opinions and his civil court victories include the largest Tobacco Settlement payment in state history.
As Attorney General, Mr. Balderas focused on keeping children and families safe, empowering New Mexican families and small businesses for financial success, and protecting New Mexico’s pristine environment.
President Balderas lives in Albuquerque with his wife Denise and their three children, Hector Reyes Jr., Mariola, and Arianna. He is licensed to practice law in New Mexico and is a Certified Fraud Examiner. In addition he donates his time working with at risk children and the special needs community.
• 2009-2013 National Association of Latino Elected Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund Board Member
• 2015-2022 New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy Board
• 2018-2022 Attorney General Alliance Executive Committee (2019 General Chair)
• 2007 - 100 Most Influential Hispanics - Hispanic Business Magazine
• 2010 - New Frontier Award - Harvard Institute of Politics & John F. Kennedy Library Foundation
• 2010 - Liberty & Justice Award - New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
• 2011 - Conservation Voters New Mexico Sunshine Award
• 2015 - Aspen Institute Fellow
• 2016 - U.S. Army War College Commandant’s National Security Program Fellow
• 2016 - Hunt-Kean Leadership Fellows Program in Education Policy
• 2017 - National TRIO Achievers Award - Council for Opportunity in Education