Mission & Vision Statements
Northern New Mexico College has served the rural communities of Northern New Mexico for over a century. Since opening in 1909 as the Spanish American Normal School in El Rito, NM, the College has provided affordable access to quality academic programs that meet the changing educational, economic and cultural needs of the region.
Northern is an open-admissions institution offering the most affordable bachelor’s programs in the Southwest. Now one of the state’s four regional comprehensive institutions, with its main campus in Española, Northern offers more than 50 bachelor’s, associate, and certificate programs in arts & human sciences, film & digital media, STEM programs, business, education, liberal arts, and nursing. The College has reintroduced technical trades in partnership with two local unions and five public school districts through its new co-located Branch Community College, the first of its kind in the state’s history. Graduates have gone on to pursue advanced degrees at colleges such as Johns Hopkins University and Purdue University, and employment at NASA and Los Alamos National Labs.
Northern is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and has earned prestigious program-specific accreditations for its engineering, nursing, education, and business programs.
Northern New Mexico College is an inclusive, student-centered teaching and learning community dedicated to excellence, empowering students, and transforming lives.
As a Hispanic- and Indigenous-serving institution, sustained by place, culture, and innovation — Northern is a beacon of higher education for all students, igniting minds to create vibrant futures.
- Student-Centered: We honor every student as a unique individual and prioritize student needs in all decision making.
- Mutual Respect: We respect the differences of all peoples; diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are our strengths.
- Integrity: We value honesty, trust, and transparency.
- Excellence: We commit to continuous improvement and strive to excel in all that we do.
- Servant Leadership: We prioritize the growth, well-being, and empowerment of students, faculty, and staff, and are good stewards of resources entrusted to our care.
- Transformational Student Experience
- Academic Excellence
- Organizational Excellence
- Strategic Partnerships