Date: February 7, 2019
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Title: Windows Systems Administrator / Security Officer
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time FLSA: Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
The Systems Administrator’s role is to manage and secure in-house computer software systems, servers, storage devices and network connections to ensure high availability and security of the supported business applications. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with college goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. Recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership and management in order to provide a high level of service to the customers of the department. Provides internal security training to adhere with NNMC Information Security Program.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Systems Administrator may designate various other activities. The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time for any reason, including reasonable accommodation.
• Manages the day-to-day operations of the NNMC host computers by monitoring system performance, security, configuration, maintenance and repair. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
• Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff on security protocols and how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
• Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
• Establishes, maintains and manages users accounts. Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software. Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with policies and best practices.
• Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components.
• Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
• Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse. Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
• Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
• Manages the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software and equipment such as air-conditioning system, UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
• Manage virtual and physical servers with Windows Server 2008 – 2012 R2 and RHEL operating systems. Manage the physical and virtual environment (VMware) of 50 plus servers.
• Manage Active Directory, Microsoft Office 365, and server and workstation patching with WSUS. Have familiarity with MS SQL server, windows clustering, domain controller setup, and group policy.
• Ensure the security of the server infrastructure by implementing industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
• Develop and maintain documentation about current environment setup, standard operating procedures, and best practices.
• Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
• Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and correct hardware and software issues on servers, and workstations. Escalate incidents as necessary. Practice server asset management, including maintenance of server component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
• Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware upgrades, patches and reconfigurations. Develop required reports in response to business user and management needs.
• Manage vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services
• Manage the physical environment of the server racks including cable management, documentation, labeling, and configuration of KVM switching for console and remote access. Build and deploy new servers on the network as needed.
• Other duties may be assigned
• Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor's degree in Information Engineering Technology or related field from an accredited college or university.
• Three (3) years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• Experience working with Ellucian Banner
• Experience working in Higher Education.
• CompTIA Network+ Certification
• CompTIA Security+ Certification
• Microsoft System Engineer Certification
• Microsoft Certified Product Specialist
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Ability to: Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
• Knowledge of : Networking, programming languages and operating systems; current equipment and technologies in use; Unix system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, and system performance monitoring tools; effective project management techniques; principles and practices of effective management and supervision.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
• May require kneeling, squatting, bending and/or climbing.
• May require temporary exposure to cold/hot environments.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical office environment. Work environment includes typical computer related noise levels and paper and equipment generated dust. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Incumbent is on call to provide support services during off hours. Scheduled night and weekend work is required. Moderate lifting.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required and/or preferred degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references.
• Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
• References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
• Required application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER