As a faculty member in the College of Education, the individual hired will collaborate in the development and implementation of an AA Vi& BA in ECE, teach needed courses in ECE (live, online or hybrid), and participate in assessment of candidates and program needed for accreditation reports. As coordinator of recruitment and retention, the individual will provide leadership in achieving recruitment and retention of candidates, engage in academic advising, and participate in outreach efforts to surrounding communities.
Northern New Mexico College (NNMC) is a public two-year and four-year degree granting institution founded in 1909 by the New Mexico Constitution. NNMC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. NNMC operates from two campuses in Espanola and El Rito and serves an average of 1,000 students per semester. Applications are invited for a non-tenure-track faculty position with a contract starting late fall 2017 or early spring 2018.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach a range of ECE courses, (e.g., Child Growth, Development & Learning, Family, Language & Culture, Assessment of Children, Curriculum Development Age-3 to Grade-3) at the undergraduate level;
- Must be willing to teach on-line/hybrid courses as needed and candidate supervision in field placements & internships, and engage in pursuit of scholarship appropriate to the profession;
- Perform administrative duties related to the ECE program (e.g., advising, recruitment, retention, outreach efforts to stakeholders, track student progress and provide reports on unit operations). Provide career support for students when appropriate (e.g., course load, prerequisites, occupational opportunities, etc.). Assist in college-wide retention activities (e.g., Early Alert), class scheduling, establish and maintain interdepartmental relationships with all student services and instructional programs;
- Explore external funding for research and/or program development;
- Engage in program, department, college, community, advising, and professional service;
- Assist with the planning, implementation and evaluation of College of Education-sponsored activities (e.g. information sessions, graduation ceremonies, new student orientation, faculty/staff meetings, PTEAC, etc.);
- Assist with accreditation planning and preparation (NAEYC, CAEP/NCATE); assist with college-wide, department, and state, etc. reporting; assist with updates to the College of Education manuals, website and promotional materials;
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Doctoral Degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Curriculum and Instruction or a related field. ABD will be considered. Minimum of 3 years teaching experience at the age 3 through Grade 3 level, to include prior teaching experience with young adults in higher education or other professional settings. Teaching certification in ECE. Experience in effectively working with ethnically and culturally diverse students in a higher education, counseling, or social service delivery setting.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience in the recruitment and retention of ethnically/ linguistically diverse students in a higher education setting.
EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a background check as required by the New Mexico Public Education Department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of online course delivery;
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects;
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders;
- Good computer software skills and experience with a variety of teaching resources, media and technologies, including computer-aided instruction and graphing calculators;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to attend to details and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and self-starting skills;
- Ability to work as a team member, collegial disposition;
- Ability to create a positive impression of the department and college while responding to the customers either by telephone or in person;
- Ability to introduce computer technology into the classroom and laboratory and willingness to explore new course delivery methods;
- Ability to coordinate, organize and anticipate details for special programs and events;
- Ability to juggle multiple/conflicting priorities and set priorities;
- The ability to independently manage the details of multiple programs and projects, to track activities;
- Ability to work and make decisions with minimal supervision;
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment;
- Ability to show flexibility in response to change and adapt to and accommodate new methods and procedures;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to articulate and support the college philosophy with a strong commitment to teaching and learning in a college setting;
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups;
- Experience with a variety of teaching resources, media and technologies, including computer-aided instruction and/or online instruction technologies;
- Excellent demonstrated written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students, and the public.
SALARY: Based on credentials and experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain open until filled
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include 1) a cover letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) unofficial transcripts conferring required degree, 6) names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of three (3) professional references.
Required application materials should be sent to: email@example.com
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews and official transcripts should be requested upon acceptance of the interview.
Northern New Mexico College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.