Date: April 13, 2022
Application Deadline: open until filled
Position Title: STEM Holistic Engineering Advisor
Department: Advisement and Title III Project Director
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
Rate of Pay: 44,440
Northern New Mexico College's Engineering and Technology Department’s average class size of 12 extends to students competitive, personalized attention. Northern offers two ABET-accredited Bachelor degrees: in Information Engineering Technology; and Electromechanical Engineering Technology. In addition, the college offers one Post-Baccalaureate Certificate program, and five Associate degrees, including two AAS degrees and one Certificate in Career Technical Education (CTE). This position will provide academic and career advisement for Engineering degree seeking students; attend to student academic inquiries, assist in the resolution of individual academic problems, and advises on academic changes; advises and assists students in the development of academic plans, class schedules, and transfer evaluations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide academic counseling and mentoring to students and potential students;
• Provide career counseling and mentoring to students and potential students;
• Assist students in selecting course work appropriate to their skill levels, career and academic goals;
• Monitor student academic progress and coordinate follow-up meetings with students as necessary;
• Provide application, admissions, and financial aid advisement;
• Perform middle and high school outreach;
• Participate in annual advisement and financial aid training;
• Assist with student recruitment and related activities;
• Participate in development and execution of New Student Orientation programs;
• Assist faculty advisement and athletic coaches by providing records, evaluations and other request data;
• Participate in the College’s Early Alert Program;
• Evaluates and maintains student records for degree requirements using academic evaluation system;
• Maintain student files throughout their academic careers and make changes to records as necessary;
• Audits student records for curriculum, major, graduation requirements;
• Disseminates information on college policies and procedures to faculty, parents, students, etc.;
• Assist with proctoring and administration of HiSET, Accuplacer, CLEP tests and assist with other testing center activities.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field.
• Experience managing multiple state, federal, and local budgets;
• Experience implementing outcomes-based activities;
• History providing wraparound services and supports to increase success for HIS STEM students;
• PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: 5 years of experience in higher education an experience developing student-centered academic support systems at scale;
A commitment to innovative strategies to support student success. Experience in student advisement and/or mentoring, working with low-income minority students in rural communities and preparing and delivering presentations to high school and college students is preferred. Experience with Ellucian Banner Student Administrative Software.
• Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s License;
• Occasional travel is required;
• Must be willing to work odd hours.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Ability to effectively communicate college policy to students;
• Strong collaborative/teamwork experience and interpersonal skills;
• Excellent presentation skills;
• Ability to work with difficult/angry students;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Records maintenance skills;
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports;
• Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments;
• Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information;
• Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion;
• Ability to analyze and solve problems;
• Knowledge of student recruitment and retention issues;
• Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements;
• Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records;
• Above average knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• No or very limited physical effort required; up to 25 pounds
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: email@example.com
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER