Date: August 22, 2018
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Position Title: Staff Writer/Reporter
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
Reports to: Creative Director
Salary Range: $40-45K, commensurate with education and experience
SUMMARY: The Staff Writer/Reporter is part of Northern’s Communications & Marketing creative team. This position reports, writes and publishes a variety of college communications (stories, news releases, collateral, announcements, etc.) via traditional and new media, about the people, accomplishments, events and initiatives at NORTHERN New Mexico College, and distributes them to the media and college community. The position strategically manages and communicates via social media accounts on behalf of Northern.
The Staff Reporter/Writer works closely with the Creative Director and Communications team to design and implement a strategic media relations program to enhance the public profile, awareness, and positive reputation of Northern, and to advance the mission of the college.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Report, write, and distribute — through print, email, web, radio, and social media — editorial and creative communications that represent Northern positively, inform and engage our communities, and advance the College mission.
• Work with the Creative Director to develop content for internal/external college communications, including print publications and collateral, website design and content development, newsletters, publicity materials, and promotions for special events.
• Contribute to other editorial and promotional projects as necessary.
• Collaborate with Communications and Administrative teams and college-wide clients to promote and distribute student, faculty, staff and institutional news.
• Build successful relationships in the campus community and develop story ideas for media coverage that supports and advances Northern’s visibility and reputation.
• Establish positive associations with the media and public on behalf of the College.
• Co-produce the College’s bi-monthly live radio show.
• Help track, measure, and analyze media interaction to inform strategy.
• Help photograph campus events and plan promotional photo shoots.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/Communications or Humanities/Arts/Culture, with at least five years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• Master’s degree;
• Journalism experience;
• Experience working in higher education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Ability to package story content (text, image, video, etc.) into a variety of editorial and promotional formats, ranging from full-length narrative features, to news stories, press releases and social media posts.
• Knowledge of journalism, public relations, and general communications principles and practices.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately; plan effectively; work well under pressure — both independently and in a collaborative team environment — and remain flexible as priorities change.
• Superior interpersonal and communications skills and discriminating judgment.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Motivated self-starter; team player; highly organized, and able to meet immediate and long-term deadlines.
• Ability and willingness to provide excellent service and work in a collegial manner with faculty, staff, students, and other constituencies.
• Expertise in social media marketing using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube
• Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, and Microsoft Office.
• Ability to produce good, reproduction-quality news photos.
• Knowledge of WordPress and SEO is a plus.
• Willing to work occasional evenings and weekend days to cover events.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical office environment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references. 5) Three to five (3-5) writing samples in the following areas, where applicable: feature/news stories, editorial or promotional copy, publications, print collateral, web design/content, and social media sites.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER