Date: March 19, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Position Title: Staff Writer/Reporter
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time Reports to: Creative Director
Salary Range: $40 to $45K, commensurate with education and experience
SUMMARY: The Staff Writer/Reporter is part of Northern’s Communications & Marketing creative team. This position reports, writes, and distributes editorial and creative communications via all media that center student and institutional success, inform and engage our communities and advance the College brand and mission.
This is a writing intensive position.
The Staff Reporter/Writer collaborates closely with the Creative Director and communications team to design and implement a strategic marketing plan to help achieve strategic direction and enrollment goals, and enhance the public profile, awareness, and positive reputation of Northern.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work closely with the Creative Director to develop content for internal/external college communications, including print and digital/social media collateral, website design and development, newsletters, publicity materials, and promotions for special events.
• Collaborate with Communications and Administrative teams and college-wide clients to promote and distribute student, faculty, staff and institutional news.
• Participate in the College’s Strategic Enrollment Management team and contribute to efforts and campaigns to attract, recruit and retain students — from Gen Z to adult learners.
• Build successful relationships in the campus community and develop story ideas for media coverage that supports and advances Northern’s visibility and reputation.
• Establish positive associations with the media and public on behalf of the College.
• Co-produce the College’s bi-monthly live radio show and weekly newsletter.
• Help track, measure, and analyze media interaction to inform strategy.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/Communications or Humanities/Arts/Culture, and at least five years relevant professional experience related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• Master’s degree, professional journalism experience, and experience working in higher education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Excellent writing and storytelling skills
• Knowledge of journalism, public relations, general communications principles and practices, and branding fundamentals
• Ability to package story content (text, image, video, etc.) into a variety of editorial and promotional formats, including full-length narrative features, news releases, social media posts, text messaging, and assorted collateral (flyers, brochures, mailers, etc.)
• Expertise in social media marketing using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube
• Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, and Microsoft Office
• Ability to work quickly and accurately; plan effectively; work well under pressure — both independently and in a collaborative team environment — and remain flexible as priorities change
• Superior interpersonal and communications skills and discriminating judgment
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
• Motivated self-starter; team player; highly organized, and able to meet immediate and long-term deadlines
• Commitment to provide excellent service and to work in a collegial manner with faculty, staff, students, and other constituencies
• Ability to produce good, reproduction-quality news photos
• Knowledge of web editing and SEO is a plus
• Willing to work occasional evenings and weekend days to cover events
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical office environment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include:
1) letter of interest,
3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required degree,
4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references, and
5) At least five to eight (5-8) writing/design samples in the following areas, where applicable to your professional experience: feature/news stories, editorial and promotional copy, print/digital design samples, web design/content, and social media posts/campaigns.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: email@example.com.
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER