Date: September 21, 2022
Position Title: Purchasing Agent /Buyer
Department: Business Office - Purchasing
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
Rate of Pay: Depending on experience/education
Application Deadline: October 18, 2022
SUMMARY: The Purchasing Agent performs varied and moderately complex clerical work involving the application of College policies and procedures and governing the procurement of materials, supplies, services, and equipment. The Purchasing Agent assists the Chief Procurement Officer in assuring the College’s compliance with the New Mexico Procurement Code, and as applicable, the Federal Uniform Guidance 2 CFR 200. The Purchasing Agent/Buyer provides procurement guidance to end users, enters purchase orders into the Accounting system, places purchasing orders with vendors, resolves vendor and department issues regarding purchase orders, and assists the Chief Procurement Officer with other procurement activities as assigned.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs varied and moderately complex clerical work in the application of College policies and procedures governing the procurement of materials, supplies, services, and equipment by receiving and verifying purchase requisitions and accompanying specifications for completeness and accuracy, preparing purchase orders, and distributing the various purchasing documents to the appropriate department, vendor, or agency.
- Assist Faculty and Staff with procedural information required for submitting a purchase requisition or contract.
- Maintain purchase order log and document orders that require additional research or documentation before they can be processed.
- Assist Faculty and Staff in obtaining price quotes and other documentation as required by the College’s policies and procedures, and the New Mexico Procurement Code.
- Resolves vendor and department problems regarding purchase orders by contacting the vendor and providing additional requested information, verifying the invoices for purchase orders, confirming delivery dates, correcting other discrepancies, verifying the status of purchase orders for departments, and assisting in identifying unknown shipments that are delivered to the Receiving.
- Work closely with the Facilities Department on Capital Projects contracts to ensure contracts are complete and encumbered into the accounting system timely and accurately.
- Process change orders as required.
- Assign Vendor ID numbers for new vendors. Provide tax-exempt status for the College to vendors.
- Assist the Comptroller with disposal of property functions in compliance with the College’s policies and state regulations.
- Review accounting reports on purchase orders and contracts for compliance and assist Accounts Payables in end-of-fiscal year closeout procedures.
- Assist the Chief Procurement Officer in maintaining all Sole Source and Emergency Procurements files.
- Maintain all credit applications from vendors.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Contribute to the overall success of the Procurement Office by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Associate’s degree in business or related field, with two years of work experience directly related to procurement and or accounting. Education requirements may be substituted with a combination of education and experience totaling four years directly related to the essential duties of this position.
- Experience working in a higher education setting
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be willing to attend State procurement training and related professional development activities as assigned by the Chief Procurement Office.
- Must be willing to obtain procurement certification under New Mexico State Statutes NMSA 13-1-95.2 within six months of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Procurement: ability to determine the best sources for goods and services, taking into consideration cost, quality of goods and services, delivery time, and compliance with the College’s policies and the New Mexico Procurement Code.
- Systems: proficient in the use of Excel Spreadsheets and Microsoft Office Word. Working knowledge of accounting or Share System.
- Accounting: basic knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Customer Service: knowledge of principles and processes for providing excellent customer service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active listening: ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions as appropriate to confirm understanding.
- Active Learning: ability to understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Reading Comprehension: ability to read and comprehend detailed written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents, including State statutes and regulations.
- Critical Thinking: Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making: ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- No or very limited physical effort required; up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) a resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER