Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Position Title: Groundskeeper
Department: Facilities Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
Pay Range: 11.55 per hour Location: El Rito Campus
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine grounds maintenance and landscaping duties throughout the College campus. Workers typically perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, and trash/litter removal. Applies chemical substances to control weeds and undesirable plants/insects, as well as encouraging/promoting healthy growth of trees, shrubs and flowers.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as mowers, tractors, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
• Mow or edge lawns, using power mowers or edger’s.
• Shovel snow from walks, driveways, or parking lots and spread salt in those areas.
• Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls.
• Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes.
• Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
• Gather and remove litter.
• Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools.
• Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
• Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, or other grounds features
• Performs other miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• High School Diploma or GED;
• One year’ experience performing various routine groundskeeper functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Must have attention to detail and quality and ability to apply them;
• Ability to operate equipment (knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, use repair and maintenance)
• Controlling operations of equipment or systems;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Ability to complete routine paperwork.
• Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures;
• Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation;
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions;
• Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises;
• Extensive physical activity. Requires strenuous physical work, heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling ;
• Climbing multiple staircases, bending and stooping;
• Frequent moving and lifting up to 50 pounds;
• Occasionally move and lift more than 80 pounds.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) resume, and 3) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER