You are invited to attend the Fall 2017 Commencement ceremony to celebrate the accomplishments and successes of our students who have completed their degree requirements and are graduating.
We will also be celebrating the accomplishments for our students who have attained their High School Equivalency credentials (HSE).
The HSE Graduation ceremony will take place in the Center for the Arts, Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM.
Commencement will take place in the Center for Arts, Friday, December 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM.
Rehearsals for both ceremonies will take place Wednesday, December 6, 2017 beginning with HEP/GED at 3:00 PM and Commencement at 4:30 PM.
We hope that you will join us to celebrate and congratulate our graduates!
- Time and Location Northern’s Commencement ceremony begins at 6 pm in the Center for the Arts.
- Caps and Gowns Cap and Gowns are ordered through cbgrad.com. Invitations may also be ordered through this same website.
- Photographs LifeTouch Photography will take your picture when you cross and exit the platform. Soon after commencement, the company will post proofs of your pictures on their website. If you have questions, please go to LifeTouch.com or contact the Registrar’s Office at (505)747-2115 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Children Children are welcome to attend this wonderful celebration. However, keep in mind the ceremony may last a couple of hours and children may become restless.
- Disability Accommodations We want to make sure that everyone who wishes to participate is able to do so. If you or a member of your family is in need of auxiliary aids or services in order to participate in Commencement, please contact Verna Trujillo in the Accessibility Resource Center at (505)747-2152, email@example.com or at 921 Paseo de Oñate, Española, NM 87532.
Some special supports such as ASL interpreters take time to arrange, so please make sure to notify the Accessibility Resource Center as soon as possible if you or a member of your family will need special support.
INFORMATION FOR FACULTY AND ADMINISTRATORS
- Faculty will arrive by 5:30 pm with appropriate regalia. Please order through https://www.cbgrad.com ahead of time.
- Processional Line Order Faculty will line up by College and Department. Faculty marshals will lead the processional line from the staging area in the CFA to the seating area.
- Commencement Opening The Provost will announce the opening of the ceremony. Remain standing until the conclusion of the national anthem. (Men remove their caps during the anthem.)
- Commencement Programs Commencement programs will be distributed to graduates and guests as they are seated in the CFA auditorium.
- Recessional Line When the ceremony is finished, the platform party will exit the stage first, followed by faculty and then the graduating class of Spring 2017. Commencement marshals will guide you.
INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
- Important: Leave your valuables (purses, backpacks, etc.) with your family or friends. There is no place to store them securely.
- Commencement Rehearsal Commencement rehearsal will begin promptly at 3:00 pm on Wednesday, December 6 at the CFA, for the HSE Graduation and 4:30 pm the same day for Commencement. It is important that all graduates attend so that you know what is expected at Commencement.
- Arrival Time and Location Graduating students will begin checking-in at 5 pm. Signs will direct you to the student check-in area. Please do not be late; the ceremony begins at exactly 6 pm.
- Processional and Seating Department assistants will line graduates up by College, department, and degree, from certificate to bachelor’s degree. Commencement marshals will escort graduating students into the CFA auditorium. Everyone will remain standing through the National Anthem. Male graduates remove their caps at the beginning of the anthem and replace them after the anthem.
- Caps and Gowns Wear or bring your regalia to the commencement. Remember, the caps, gowns, and tassels are yours to keep after the Commencement Exercises. Wear your cap straight so that it covers your forehead and place your tassel on the left, front corner of your cap. The Office of the Registrar does have some caps and gowns that students may borrow for the ceremony. Students will need to purchase their tassel through the NNMC Bookstore.
- Name Cards You will receive your name card when you check in. Make certain that you keep it with you. If you are receiving academic honors, you will receive your honor cord at the time you check in.
- Presentation of Candidates The Provost will ask the candidates to rise according to their College. Marshals will direct students to the platform row by row. You will give your name card to the Provost when you approach the stage. The Provost will announce your name, degree, and honors as you walk across the stage.
- When you receive your diploma cover, pause to allow the professional photographer to take your picture, exit the stage, then quickly return to your seat remain standing until signaled to sit by the ceremony marshals.
After all graduates have walked across the stage, the President of the College will ask you to move your tassel from the left side of your cap to the right side.
- Recessional Graduates will stand when the recessional music begins. The platform party will lead the recessional, followed by the faculty, and then the graduates. Commencement Marshals will direct your exit, starting with the first row of students.
- Receiving Line Northern does not include a receiving line in the scheduled ceremony.
INFORMATION FOR GUESTS
- Parking Parking lots are located throughout the campus and will accommodate guest parking.
- Arrival Time Guests may begin arriving at 5 pm. The ceremony will begin promptly at 6 pm.
- Seating Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis; no tickets are required. Please follow commencement marshals’ directions to guest seating areas. Once you have been seated, please remain in your seats, so that the ceremony can proceed without interruptions.
- Recessional Please remain standing and allow the faculty and students to exit the stage area first. Commencement marshals will direct your exit. Go directly to the reception area. Students will join their guests after they greet their instructors.
- Photographs Professional photographers will take pictures of students as they cross and exit the platform. Guests will have many chances to take photographs before and after the ceremony. For the safety of the graduates and to allow all guests to see the ceremony, please follow the commencement marshals direction for taking photographs. We ask that no one block aisles or stay for an extended time near the front of the stage.
- Electronic Devices Please silence your phones, pagers, pads, and other electronic devices.
SAFETY & SECURITY
- We will be fully staffed and monitoring the graduation ceremony.
- We ask that no backpacks or large purses/containers be brought into the CFA on Commencement day.
- All camera bags, and other necessary bags may be subject to search at the door prior to them being allowed into the CFA. This screening is being done as a security measure for everyone’s protection.
- Parking will be available throughout the campus.
- For more information about the Commencement Ceremony, please contact the Registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org, 505.747.2115.