Date: July 23, 2018
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Position Title: Athletic Trainer
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Reports to: Athletic Director
Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, evaluates physical condition and treats student athletes to maintain maximum physical fitness for participation in athletic competition. Prescribes routine and corrective exercises to strengthen muscles; recommends special diets to increase/decrease weight. Treats chronic minor injuries and related disabilities to maintain student athlete performance. May design customized individual training programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Designs and implements basic fitness, nutrition, and conditioning programs for student-athletes; may design customized plans to meet individual needs.
• Operates therapeutic devices and equipment; fits braces, guards, mouth pieces, and other similar devices.
• Administers first aid to injured players such as giving artificial respiration, cleaning and bandaging wounds, and applying heat and cold to promote healing.
• Wraps ankles, fingers, or wrists in synthetic skin, protective gauze, and adhesive tape to support muscles and ligaments.
• Oversees the daily management of training room, including ordering and storage of supplies and equipment.
• Calls physician for seriously injured athletes.
• Supervises safety factors of athletic competition by ensuring elimination of undue hazards.
• May assist injured athletes in completing and submitting insurance claims.
• May lead, guide, and train staff/student employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of volunteers, as appropriate to the area of operation.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor's degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
• Ability to evaluate therapeutic requirements for student-athletes, and to fit and modify therapeutic and/or protective equipment.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
• Ability to design and implement fitness, nutrition and/or conditioning programs.
• Skill in the use of first aid procedures.
• Knowledge of CPR and emergency medical procedures.
• Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
Conditions of Employment
• CPR Certified.
• Compliance with all NCAA rules and regulations is required in this position.
• Must hold or be able to obtain State of New Mexico Athletic Trainers Practice Board License within six months of employment.
• Must maintain certification from National Athletic Training Association Board of Certification.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: email@example.com.
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER