Date: September 29, 2022
Position Title: Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time – Salaried Position
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Responsible for assisting the Director with the overall administration of aid programs and management of the Financial Aid Office staff. Works closely with the Director to identify and prioritize functions that need to be improved within the processing, service and reporting areas of financial aid. The individual in this position makes supervisory decisions and represents the department in the absence of the Director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Customer Service and Outreach
- Expected to take a lead role in advisement to students and families regarding financial aid opportunities, eligibility requirements, and application processes.
- Expected to deal with and resolve complex financial aid issues.
- Work to implement ways to best inform students and families about financial aid.
- Determines student eligibility for financial aid. Processes documents related to the evaluation of aid eligibility. Reviews special circumstances appeals.
- Award and distribute financial aid award packages.
- Administer the Verification process.
- Maintain and update all office publications in compliance with Federal Regulations and Consumer Information.
- Financial Aid Systems
- Maintain knowledge of the Banner student information systems.
- Assist Director with yearly setup, reporting, and testing
- Compliance, Assessment, and Workflow
- Assist the Director in administering federal, state, and institutional funds.
- Responsible for staying abreast of current regulatory guidelines and strategic direction impacting the Financial Aid Office.
- Researches and analyzes complex problems, recommends, and implements appropriate solutions. Develops policies and procedures that ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Responsible for evaluating office performance and measurements, priorities and timelines for tasks and various projects. Makes recommendations for the enhancement and expansion of existing systems to improve and communicate policies, practices, and services. Communicate and inform the Director.
- In charge of the management of all publications (forms, website, other publications) are up to date and compliant with federal consumer information requirements.
- Involved with efficient and effective planning and implementation of administrative functions related to processing and reporting of financial aid.
- Assist Director with development and implementation of short and long-range plan(s) to conduct internal audits of files for compliance. Works closely with the director to meet A133 audit requirements and requests from external auditing agencies.
- Responsible for monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Perform random quality assurance testing on processed financial aid files as directed, and research regulatory questions.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in campus and high school activities including: Open Houses, Accepted Student Days, FAFSA nights and other events as needed.
- Collaborate with various College offices including Admissions, Finance, Advancement, and Registrar on effective and efficient workflow processes and deadlines.
- Participates and shares in the responsibility for interpreting and implementing Federal Methodology, verification requirements, federal and state regulations through reading of FSA handbook, verification guide, and other sources.
- Takes a lead role in the preparation of financial aid program printed and electronic materials.
- Primary backup for Director and provides leadership in absence of Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 4 years of progressive work experience in a college financial aid office
- Knowledge of Title IV financial aid regulations.
- Experience working with Ellucian Banner Financial Aid Module or similar system such as Ellucian Colleague
- Experience with Ellucian Banner Financial Aid Module annual setup
- Experience using Department of Education systems such as Common Originations and Disbursements (COD) Ed Connect, National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and other similar systems.
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel and Access
- Supervisory experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Federal Title IV, as well as other federal and state financial aid regulations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies both orally and in writing.
- Ability to supervise and train employees and delegate work assignments.
- Ability to develop, plan and implement short- and long-term goals.
- Ability to develop and implement operational policies and procedures in area of expertise.
- Ability to effectively developed and provide staff training.
- Strong customer service skills with a commitment to customer service
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize complex projects.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong computer experience with ability to work with related software applications.
- Must be organized, detail oriented, thorough and have a commitment to data integrity.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to effectively give presentations in front of a live audience.
- Create and conduct training staff and students.
- Knowledge of financial aid policies, procedures, and eligibility requirements.
- Repetitive hand motions and prolonged use of computer;
- Requires handling of average-weight objects up 40 pounds
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical office environment. Requires some evening and weekend work. Occasional travel to conduct outreach activity. Must be able to work nights and weekends as required due to business needs.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) resume, 3) copy of unofficial transcripts conferring required and/or preferred degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER