Date: February 14, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Title: Accountant III
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
Reports to: Comptroller
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
SUMMARY: Under the supervision and direction of the Comptroller, the Accountant III will perform daily general ledger accounting functions including payroll for the College and its component unit using a strong accounting foundation and knowledge of Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to analyze the composition of Balance Sheet and Income Statement accounts for appropriateness and completeness, which includes but is not limited to preparing and posting journal entries, reconciliation of general ledger with external fiduciary account(s) and payroll software, accounts receivable, preparation of financial reports, analytical review of financial information, and assisting the Comptroller with the preparation of financial information used in the annual financial statement audit.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The Accountant is responsible for performing daily accounting functions for the College and its component unit:
• Analyzes, reconciles, balances and maintains accounting records;
• Reconciliation of bank and other fiduciary accounts;
• Reconciliation of payroll accounts;
• Investigates and resolves problems related to accounting transactions;
• Creating, posting, and/or reviewing/approving journal entries;
• Creating/establishing and maintaining accounts receivable;
• Preparation of financial reports;
• Analytical review of financial information;
• Assists Comptroller in the development, preparation and interpretation of financial information used to prepare financial statements under GASB Standards, Federal requirements, State laws and College policies;
• Assists in maintaining the chart of accounts;
• Facilitates in year-end closure and participates in annual audit;
• Development of a positive customer service climate within the Business Office; and
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration with a minimum of 24 credit hours in accounting and/or finance; and three (3) years of directly related work experience in general ledger and payroll accounting, auditing and/or finance.
• Or any combination of education from an accredited college or university in a related field and/or direct experience in this occupation totaling six (6) years may substitute for the required education and experience (24 credit hours in accounting or finance).
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent.
• Knowledge of Ellucian Banner Administrative and/or Oracle based software applications.
• Experience working at an Institution of Higher Education in an accounting/financial management position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Strong knowledge of GAAP & GASB as well as the New Mexico State Procurement Code, relevant Federal and State laws & regulations.
• Knowledge of federal grants management accounting and reporting.
• Knowledge of accounting procedures, policies and systems applicable to institutions of higher education.
• Knowledge of modern accounting applications;
• Knowledge of payroll accounting;
• Abilities and experience in researching, developing, analyzing and presenting economic, financial and accounting data and reports.
• Experience and skill in providing fiscal management advice and counsel to senior administrators.
• Ability to analyze complex problems and develop efficient solutions.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to prepare accurate written reports and make oral presentations.
• Ability to complete work under pressure and on time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical office environment.
APPICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring required degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone number of three (3) professional references.
Candidates who are invited for interview will be required to submit official transcripts.
Reference will be contacted in conjunction with interviews
A background check will be required.
Required application materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER