Date: October 12, 2022
Position Title: Academic Advisor
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
Rate of Pay: $34,900 to $36,900
Application Deadline: Open until filled
SUMMARY: Academic advisor will provide advisement to first-time college students and all students that need support with advising. This individual will advise and assist students in the development of academic plans, class schedules, and transfer evaluations. The advisor attends to academic inquiries, assists in the resolution of individual academic problems, and advises on academic changes. Collaboration with faculty for student success is a must. Within this position the advisor will also participate in the New Student Orientation (NSO) and support the Director of Student Success to
facilitate this event during the Fall and Spring semesters.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Provide academic counseling and mentoring to students and potential students;
● Assist students in selecting coursework appropriate to their skill levels, career, and
● Monitor student academic progress and coordinate follow-up meetings with
students as necessary;
● Assist with student recruitment and related activities;
● Participate in the development and execution of new student orientation programs
for both fall and spring semesters;
● Assist faculty advisement and athletic coaches by providing records, evaluations,
and other request data;
● Participate in the College’s Early Alert Program;
● Evaluate and maintain student records for degree requirements using an academic
● Maintain student files throughout their academic careers and make changes to
records as necessary;
● Audit student records for curriculum, major, and graduation requirements;
● Disseminate information on college policies and procedures to faculty, parents,
● Assist students with technical support; including setting up student email, navigating
Banner and Blackboard, and any other tech help students will need
● Exceptional customer service with students, partners, community, and overall
● Work collaboratively with student success team and will be working as a team
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in any field.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate would possess a commitment to innovative strategies to support student success and have experience in student advisement and/or mentoring, as well as working with low-income, minority students in rural communities. Experience preparing and delivering presentations to high school and college students is preferred and experience with Ellucian Banner Student Administrative Software is a plus.
- Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s License;
- Occasional travel is required;
- During peak registration times, work hours may vary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively communicate college policy to students;
- Strong collaborative/teamwork experience and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Ability to work with difficult/angry students;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Records maintenance skills;
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports;
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments;
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information;
- Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion;
- Ability to analyze and solve problems;
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention issues;
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements;
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records;
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- No or very limited physical effort required; up to 25 pounds
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of interest, 2) a resume, 3) copies of unofficial transcripts conferring the required degree, and 4) names, addresses, and phone numbers of (3) three professional references.
Candidates who are invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts.
References will be contacted in conjunction with interviews.
Required application materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NNMC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER