Strategic Direction 2018-2022
Mission: The mission of Northern New Mexico College is to ensure student success by providing access to affordable, community-based learning opportunities that meet the educational, cultural, and economic needs of the region.
Vision: Northern New Mexico College is a Hispanic and Native American-serving comprehensive institution that will be recognized nationally for cultural sustainability, quality student learning and developing economically strong communities among diverse populations.
Goal: To increase annual enrollment both in student head count and credit hour totals.
Northern will attract and enroll students from local communities, and continually develop potential student pipelines, both traditional and non-traditional, including high school equivalency graduates, adult learners and community artists.
- Strengthen effective partnerships with local high schools, and articulation agreements with area community colleges.
- Expand effective, compelling marketing and recruitment strategies that best highlight Northern’s
- Determine and implement appropriate program offerings that prepare students for an evolving job market.
- Establish and maintain affordable tuition and fees for long-term sustainability.
- Establish student residence options.
- Increase the Northern Foundation’s scholarship and grant giving capacity.
2022 VISION: Student head count at 1400/semester & student credit hours at 14,000/semester
Download our Strategic Direction Booklet
2. Student Success
Goal: To increase student success through higher retention/graduation rates, and pathways to employment and graduate education.
Northern will maintain its commitment to open and affordable educational access, academic excellence, robust student support services, mentoring, and scholarship opportunities that will encourage and enable students to pursue and succeed along multiple life paths and careers.
- Improve every touchpoint in student services to ensure individual student success.
- Evaluate and redesign curriculum to minimize academic obstacles, and introduce flexible scheduling.
- Strengthen first year experience programs and support systems for new students.
- Increase student sense of belonging to the Northern community through the promotion of an
inclusive learning environment that celebrates the diversity of the student population.
- Enhance campus and student life experiences.
2022 VISION: Annual retention rates at or above 75%, and graduation rates at or above 30%
Goal: To improve quality, timeliness, accuracy, and consistency of communications within the College, as well as with community members and external stakeholders.
Northern will promote its unique identity, brand and culture, drawing on its rich history of community service and engagement, with integrity, responsibility and transparency.
- Design and implement a communications strategy that centers on student and institutional success.
- Optimize College communication resources and channels to ensure effective engagement with students, faculty and staff.
- Position Northern as a thought leader through utilizing faculty and staff expertise and amplifying
- Institutionalize effective communication channels with community and external stakeholders
to ensure constructive and mutually beneficial engagement.
- Create venues for suggestions and concerns, including an option for anonymity.
2022 VISION: All students, faculty, staff, community members and external stakeholders have the information they need to support the College’s mission, and the opportunity to contribute to an open dialogue of continuous improvement.
4. Team Spirit
Goal: To foster a cohesive, productive and effective Northern community where everyone on the team feels valued and takes pride in contributing to the College’s educational mission.
Northern will promote a healthy, enriching work and study environment in which all members of the College community are engaged, empowered and valued.
- Promote a culture of mutual respect, ethical behavior, fairness and constructive dialogue.
- Ensure that Northern’s values of respect, integrity, service, diversity, inclusivity, and inspiration
are manifest in the college’s daily operations.
- Enhance opportunities for professional and personal development and growth.
- Develop a salary structure consistent with our region and current market trends.
- Promote interdepartmental collaboration.
- Develop functional and welcoming learning, working, and community spaces on both campuses.
2022 VISION: Everyone in the Northern community knows that they are respected and valued as contributing members of the College team.