Tuition & Fees
New Mexico Resident Tuition
1 to 12 credit hours, per hour = $114.50
12 to 18 credit hours = $1374 (full-time rate)
18+ hours = $1374 plus $114.50 for each hour over 18.
If you are a Senior citizen (age 65 and above) and are classified as a resident of New Mexico, you will be charged $5.00 per credit for lower division courses or $20.40 per credit for upper division courses. If you enroll for more than 6 credits, charges for those credits over 6 will be made at the rate of $114.50 per credit. (This does not apply to Continuing Education courses.)
1 to 12 credit hours, per hour = $425.45
12 to 18 credit hours = $5105.40 (non-resident full-time rate)
18+ hours = $5105.40 plus $425.45 for each hour over 18.
Note: Northern used to allow non-residents to pay in-state tuition if enrolled in 6 credits or less. Recently passed legislation no longer allows that to happen.
Non-Resident Tuition (WUE)
Reduced rate of 150% of resident tuition for eligible degrees, offered through participating state in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (www.wiche.edu/wue)
1 to 12 credit hours, per hour = $171.75
12 to 18 credit hours = $2061 (non-resident full-time rate)
18+ hours = $2061. plus $171.25 for each hour over 18.
For a helpful tool to estimate your cost to attend college,
try our new Net Price Calculator.
Required Student Fees
Applicable to all students
- Registration fee: $25/term
- Activity fee: $3/credit hour
(capped at $36 for 12+ hours)
- Student Service fee: $10/credit hour
(capped at $120 for 12+ hours)
- IT fee: $20/credit hour
(capped at $240 for 12+ hours)
- Building & Equip renewal: $10/credit hour
- Library student fee: $1.25/credit hour
- Security fee: $1.25/credit hour
Applicable to students taking 4+ hours
- Online Access fee: $35
- Athletic fee: $50
Other fees (as applicable)
- Online Payment Plan Fee: $25/term
- Unofficial Transcript Fee: $2
- Official Transcript Fee: $5
- Graduation: $100
- Cap & Gown: $37.50
- Late Registration: additional $35
- Payment Plan Late Fee: $10
Test, Lab and other Course-specific fees:
- See page 37 in the current Academic Catalog for a complete list of test and course- or program-specific fees.
For Graduate Students
- Graduate Application Fee: $25
- Graduate Education course fee:
$200 for 1-6 hours; $300 for 7+ hours